I know I didn’t realize the immensity when I started working with it in 2004.
They also don’t realize the complexity of decision making a PPC management company goes through. It truly has become a specialty. Not just an advertising specialty, but an internet marketing specialty.
Of course the job has grown exponentially more complex as time has gone on. One industry expert estimated that Google makes thousands of small changes to their Adwords program over the course of a year. Many of those changes directly affect the management options we employ.
I’ve never taken the time to count, but I know it’s getting ridiculous how many things us PPC advertising consultants need to keep up with.
What are the Complexities of PPC Management?
Okay, so your account has been set up (hopefully by a professional who knew what they were doing). Now comes the second phase where a manager needs to be aware of dozens of things that are going on as feedback comes in the form of data from clicks.
Your better PPC management companies are analyzing data from:
- Average search results positions
- Ad impressions
- Clicks on the phrases
- Which clicks were attributed to which ads
- Click through rates (again on phrases and ads)
- Cost per click on each and every phrase
- Phrase bids for position adjustments
- Effectiveness of ad language measured in click rates and conversions
- Conversions of the clicks into customers taking action
- Bounce rates on the landing pages your prospects see
- Time spent by prospects on those landing pages, and what it means
- Number of pages viewed after landing on your site
- Quality scores assigned by Google or Bing to each phrase
Those are just a sampling from a Search ad campaign. There are also Display Network campaigns where we watch “placement” data.
Advertising Success is Achieved Over Time
Then, as time goes on, PPC management entails determination of the following:
- The most effective phrases, not just the highest volume
- Which phrases need to be in top positions, vs lower positions not hurting
- What ads should be replaced, as determined by A/B test results
- What the bounce rates on landing pages mean vis a vis the content of the page
- How much a phrase is actually worth in relation to other phrases
- Whether measured conversions are important for a phrase or of less importance than other factors
- Which phrases should be paused, deleted or promoted
- Which phrases should be placed into negative status
- And much more
The point is, the picture is constantly changing and a good PPC management consultant is an expert at reading the data, interpreting the meaning, and applying logic and psychological analysis to make on the fly adjustments to steer your campaigns in a winning direction.
This is not trial-and-error for a talented PPC management consultant, it is refinement of a good starting strategy. Often times we make decisions between phrases and ads that are producing good returns and those producing great returns.
It takes a base aptitude that is right for the job as well as attention to detail, a thorough understanding of advertising principles and unbelievable organization skills. Oh, and the ability to adapt, fast and often.
What’s the Easiest Way to Manage a PPC Account?
That’s easy. Hire a professional Colorado PPC management company to handle it for you. Give them feedback as to what you are seeing on new client volume, and real world prospect interaction. In other words what kinds of new clients are you getting?
Your PPC Manager can make better adjustments for you with better feedback from you. We can only see what the data tells us; it is up to you to report back with results on phone calls, walk-ins and sign-ups.
Free PPC Account Reviews
For a free no obligation review and management quote of your Google Adwords or Bing Ad account, call Colorado PPC Manager Jon Camrud.